We have learned that the House Commerce, Justice, Science (CJS) Appropriations Subcommittee has proposed a funding bill that would cut tribal justice and victim services funding by more than 55% for FY 2019.
We are reaching out to you because it is imperative that Indian Country and allies contact subcommittee members today before 5pm EST and urge them to do the following:
- continue the tribal set aside out of the Crime Victims Fund and direct that 5% go directly to tribal governments.
- create a 7 percent tribal set-aside from all OJP programs to address Indian country public safety and tribal criminal justice needs.
Here is what you can do today (before the markup at 5:00 pm):
- Call the CJS Subcommittee at (202)-225-3351. Here is a sample message:
“Hello, I am calling to ask Representative Culberson, Representative Serrano, and their colleagues on the CJS subcommittee to remember tribal victims of crime in their CJS Appropriations Bill. American Indians and Alaska Natives experience violence at exceptionally high rates. The CJS appropriations bill cuts tribal funding by more than 55% for FY19. Your bill cuts funding at OJP and removes the tribal set aside from the Crime Victims Fund that was included inFY18. These funding cuts will undermine safety and healing for victims of crime in Indian Country. They deserve better. I urge you to include a 5% set-aside from the Crime Victims Fund and a 7% set-aside from OJP programs in the bill.”
- Share this Action Alert with you networks ASAP.
- If you are in any of these Members’ districts, please call them by calling the Congressional switchboard at (202) 224-3121!
- Rep. Robert Aderholt, Alabama
· Rep. Martha Roby, Alabama
· Rep. Hal Rogers, Kentucky
· Rep. Steven Palazzo, Mississippi
· Rep. José Serrano, New York
· Rep. Grace Meng, New York
· Rep. Matt Cartwright, Pennsylvania
· Rep. John Carter, Texas
· Rep. John Culberson, Texas
· Rep. Derek Kilmer, Washington
· Rep. Evan Jenkins, West Virginia
Email your letters to:
Contact Caroline LaPorte (email@example.com) if you have any questions.